Email Marketing Statistics: Updated for 2023
Marketing strategies like social media marketing, video marketing, and webinars are the new craze among present-day marketers. But in that craze, we should never stop utilizing the marketing strategy with the maximum ROI —email marketing.
But anything we say about email marketing is just our opinion, right? So, we came up with the numbers because, unlike opinions, numbers never lie!
We’ve extracted some of the most important and useful email marketing statistics from reliable, trustworthy reports and benchmark data in this article. These statistics will help you understand why email marketing should remain a top priority in your marketing strategy —even in 2023!
Let’s dive right in!
Most important email marketing stats
Email marketing is a modern-day wonder for marketers. It’s undoubtedly the most powerful marketing strategy, and there’s enough data to back that up. In this section, we’ve compiled some email marketing statistics to prove its real value.
- Email marketing has an ROI of 4200%, which is $42 for every $1 spent – Statista
- Email marketing revenue is expected to reach 11 billion dollars by 2023 – Statista
- More than 306 billion emails are sent and received each day – Statista
- 93% of B2B marketers use emails for distributing their content – CMI
- 72% of B2C marketers utilize email marketing software to support content distribution – CMI
Marketing automation for WordPressGet FluentCRM Now
- 99% of all email users check their emails every day, while 37.9% of them check their emails 2 to 5 times a day – Optinmonster
- Mobile devices result in 41% of email views – HubSpot
- Automated emails generate 320% more revenue compared to non-automated emails – Campaign Monitor
- The average open rate for personalized email is 188% – Statista
Find out some more reasons why email marketing is important.
General email marketing statistics
Email users are always on the rise, making email marketing the optimal marketing strategy among all the other marketing strategies that exist. Here we’ll present some important and useful facts about email marketing in general, so you can be better informed generally about email marketing.
- Currently, there are 4 billion email users worldwide
- By 2025, email users are expected to rise by 595 million
- Email marketing revenue is expected to reach 11 billion dollars by 2023 – Statista
- More than 306 billion emails are sent and received each day
- Email marketing has an ROI of 4200% which is the highest among all marketing strategies – Statista
- 64% of small businesses use email marketing to reach customers
- Email marketing is 40% better at converting customers compared to other marketing strategies
- 37% of businesses are increasing their email marketing budget
- 33% of marketers send weekly emails and 26% send emails multiple times every month
- 50.7% of customers are influenced to make their buying decision by marketing emails
- Email marketing is used mostly for lead generation (85%), sales (84%), lead nurturing (78%), and customer retention (74%)
- 96% of recipients have unsubscribed from receiving emails, and 76% of them claimed they did so because emails were sent too frequently
If you aren’t utilizing email marketing yet, here’s a beginner’s guide!
B2B email marketing statistics
Buyer-to-buyer businesses essentially rely on email marketing to distribute their content. Email marketing is used by most B2B businesses for convenience and the various ways it can be utilized for businesses.
These are the B2B email marketing stats that we think are the most important to look out for:
- 93% of B2B marketers use emails for distributing their content
- 81% of B2B marketers say that email newsletters are the most used way of content marketing
- 64% of B2B marketers say their email marketing was an effective strategy for meeting business goals in 2021
- 64% of B2B marketers say that they use email automation in marketing.
- The average email open rate for B2Bs is 15%
- According to B2B marketers, new product and feature announcement emails have the highest click-through rate
B2C email marketing statistics
Much like B2B businesses, Buyer to customer businesses distributes their content through email marketing. In B2C businesses, personalized emails work best because you’re dealing with the customers directly and people like a personal touch even in transactional messages.
- 72% of B2C marketers utilize email marketing software to support content distribution
- 59% of responders in a survey claimed that marketing emails influenced their purchase decisions, with half of them buying from those emails at least once per month – Sales Cycle
- 50% of people buy from marketing emails at least once a month
- 60% of retail, e-commerce, and consumer goods and services companies are personalizing emails based on past purchases
- More than 80% of people will open a welcome email, generating 4 times more opens and 10 times more clicks than other types of email
- Nearly 22% of all email campaigns are opened within the first hour of sending
- 15.8% of all emails go missing or get caught by spam filters
Email marketing demographic
The same marketing strategy won’t work similarly for every user demographic. Here are some solid stats to better understand if your email marketing strategy is effective for your target demographic:
- 99% of all email users check their emails every day, while 37.9% of them check their emails 2 to 5 times a day
- In the U.S. most customers discover coupons from different brands through email
- People would more likely to open an email if they recognize the sender
- 59% of Millennials check emails primarily on their smartphone, followed by 67% of Generation Z who check emails on their phone
- 74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel to receive communications from brands, followed by 72% of Gen X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Gen Z
- The average time a recipient spends reading an email is 10 seconds
- The most essential step email marketers take for accessibility in their emails is writing short and descriptive subject lines, making links and buttons easy to see, and keeping paragraphs short and simple.
Mobile email marketing statistics
In this era of mobility, everyone is rooting for mobile devices. So, your marketing strategy should also be well aligned with mobile devices.
With most of the email engagements coming from mobile devices, optimization for mobile devices is the next big thing in email marketing. Here are some stats to support this:
- Mobile devices result in the most amount of email views across all devices, with 41% of views coming from it
- 46% of smartphone users prefer emails for business communication
- Nearly 1 in 5 email marketing campaigns aren’t optimized for mobile devices
- Opting for mobile-optimized email campaigns can increase unique mobile clicks by 15%
- 56% of marketers implement mobile-friendly emails in their marketing strategy
- 23% of consumers who open an email on a mobile device will open that email again later, oftentimes on desktop
Email automation statistics
Even as a small business, you can’t really afford to send each and every marketing email manually one by one. To get the most out of email marketing, you must incorporate an email automation service with your marketing efforts.
Email automation will work wonders for your regular workflow and get you the result you want from your marketing efforts.
Below presented are some email automation statistics to get you started:
- Automated emails generate 320% more revenue than non-automated emails
- 49% of businesses utilize some sort of automation in their email campaigns
- 64% of B2B marketers use email automation techniques– MarketingCharts
- Top three ways email automation benefits businesses are–
- Saving time (30%)
- Lead generation (22%)
- The rise in revenue (17%) – GetResponse
Segmentation and personalization statistics
Your customers absolutely love getting messages and offers that are personalized based on their needs and interests. Everyone loves to see what they like and this could trigger a purchase too. And how do you personalize emails? – By segmenting your customer base.
Here are some segmentation and personalization stats for you:
- The average open rate for personalized email is 188% while emails without personalization have an open rate of 12.1% – Statista
- 90% of marketers have high hopes for email personalization – Optinmonster
- Marketers witnessed a 760% increase in revenue from segmented email campaigns – Campaign Monitor
- Emails with personalized subject lines like the recipient’s first name are 26% more likely to be opened – Campaign Monitor
- 66% of marketers personalize their emails based on age data
- 60% of businesses are personalizing emails based on past purchases, which was only 38% in 2019 – Litmus
- Segmented email campaigns increase open rates by 39%; revenue, deliverability, and sales leads all increased by 24%, and transactions increased by 18% – Superoffice
Start boosting your email campaign with effective email personalization techniques.
That’s it for the stats, folks!
We tried to show you how some email marketing tactics work and to what extent. Now it is your task to see if your business is taking steps toward the right decision. Hope the aforementioned stats get you fired up for your next marketing campaign. All the best for your future endeavors.
Happy email marketing!
Add your first comment to this post